Monday, June 17, 2013

Home Again!

Okay, so I spent the entire weekend (well most of it) camping and usually I'm a camper, but this year, whoo, I was more than ready to just go home and waste my brains in front of a computer for a couple of hours.
We left on Friday at about 5 in the evening and I was perfectly okay with that, those of you who know about cooking in Dutch ovens will understand why, dinner takes FOREVER to cook and my grandparents and aunts and uncle were cooking dinner as we drove up. The ride was insanely long, but at least my siblings got along, usually we have the "he's poking me!" "She's breathing my air!" "He won't stop bugging me!" kind of arguments that drive everyone else in the car INSANE!
I also don't like winding roads that follow rivers, especially roads that are like one lane thick but two cars are driving in it anyway, yow, hate that. I'm always afraid that we're going to tip into the river. Yeah, so we got up into the campground after an hour of driving, and by this time you know, I was pretty well okay, except I needed a restroom, badly. And here's the reason I wanted to go home so bad, they were pit potties. You know a half-inch step up from outhouses? Yuck! I mentioned before that I've been on trek, something my church does to celebrate our pioneer ancestors where we have to use Porta-Potties for four days. I started calling them the Green Monsters, and I'm sure if I'd had my head on straight, I would've called this campground's pit potties, the Brown and Smelly Monsters because those suckers had a stench! Seriously, you could smell it from about thirty feet away!
Okay, that might be exaggerating, but trust me, it was bad.
Also, I was starting to have some intense pain in my stomach and chest, so bad I could hardly move and my younger cousins that seem to idolize me wanted me to run around with them and I was sure I was going to pass out! My younger sister sat with me as I groaned in pain, which was really nice because she's super funny and I don't talk with her as much as I want to.
Then came bedtime, I talked with my two other siblings who were in the tent with me, and we laughed until about 12 pm until we passed out, but we were also a little apprehensive because we were told that there had been a bear spotting near the dam area and the dam area was about 15 minutes from where we were sleeping in TENTS! My mom slept with a baseball bat and my brother, younger brother mind you, who is almost 6 inches taller than me and a lot more muscly, had a hammer. I wasn't worried, I was too tired but I could hear something that sounded like a garbage can getting rolled around and I thought it was a bear so when I fell asleep at last, I dreamt about talking bears.
It was a cold night and I tossed and turned through a lot it (when I wasn't dreaming about Yogi Bear's cousin) and at 5:30 my sister woke me up and hauled me up to the bathroom, it was a bit of walk to get to a pit and I've discovered over my many years of camping that if you want to make life easier while you're suffering in the woods, always, and I mean ALWAYS keep a small thing of germ-buster in your pocket, it will save some tears, trust me!
I won't go into much details about Saturday, you'd get bored, I was bored! Morning was okay, I guess, but I burned my taste buds on hot chocolate, lost my quickly depleting appetite during breakfast, turkey bacon, eeuck! I'm sorry, it looked like rubber and like any good hobbit, I tend to like my bacon crispy, not flappy.
Then all my cousins decided to climb this massive rock by my grandparents' campground, that sucker was like Mt. Everest, miniature. I climbed up and sat with my younger cousins, the ones that idolize me, and I was okay because I was on Motrin so I wasn't in pain then, but I could hear my older sister talking with the cousin my age (the one I'm not terribly fond of, but I had a breakthrough on Friday night, she actually said what? when I said something to her, a miracle!) about her boyfriend and my cousin started spouting about her boyfriends and I felt like a loser because the only boy that's ever talked to me for more than five minutes was Steve and he was a freshman!
I had to get off that rock, too much pressure, especially when my sister and cousin crawled up there and started yapping about their boyfriends right next to me. I hate that. I'm not too proud about the way I look, I'm not that smart when it comes to school and my sister and cousin are both extremely pretty, and smart and I feel like a piece of rubble getting compared to precious gemstones around them.
I dove off that rock and stuck in my iPod listening to Haunted by Taylor Swift. I don't know why I stuck around the campground for as long as I did, but eventually, I gave up and went back to my family's and hid in the tent feeling sick and upset listening to Stop and Erase by Selena Gomez. And NO, my iPod is not completely full of angry songs, just mostly :)
After that it was just a really LONG afternoon. I finished the Two Towers something I'd been chipping at for weeks, I read a good 80 maybe 90 pages and discovered that Shelob really irks me and I really couldn't look at spiders, but I was really happy because I read the word wraith about five times. It was also a happy afternoon because my cousins that I really can't stand went home and I shed no tears over their departing.
That evening was just as cold and miserable because my air mattress went flat and I was so cold I could hardly sleep and my sister started talking in her sleep, can't remember what she said, but yeah. Oh and the camp hosts kept driving by in their stupid little golf carts at TWELVE O'CLOCK in the night.
My mom had had enough, obviously, she woke us up at 6 and we packed up with our cold fingers and were out of there by 8. My family all showered and got ready for church, but I crawled into bed because I was feeling awful again and I stayed home with my youngest sister who slept for about four hours, she's 7 and sooo cute when she's asleep.
We went back up to trade cars with my grandparents and to roast marshmallows for the last time, and I was having so much trouble just roasting a good one, they'd either burn or meet some unfortunate fate, like my brother blowing on the fire and getting ash all over them, or me dropping them against the burning wood, or just lighting on fire, and then the fire popped on them and I just gave up and took the burnt marshmallows from other people.
I was happy to come home and sleep in my bed and use a flushing toilet, I didn't realize how much I missed the sound of that harmonic fluuush! And Wi-Fi I missed that! I'm glad to be home, because I'm still not feeling great, and I like my bed better than I will ever like an air-mattress!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry that camping didn't go better than that. Sounds like even your hike was ruined. I'm glad you survived it and that your rude cousins left early. :) And I know exactly what you mean about the nasty toilets and feeling self-conscious while everyone else talks about boyfriends. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it wasn't that great a trip, I'm glad to be home! :)

      Delete