Monday, June 10, 2013

A word from my not so quick tongue

So I'm still waiting on my editor. I'm hoping she'll send it back this week because we're going camping this weekend and I'd like something to do while I'm sitting up there with flies buzzing around my head. Seriously, they're attracted to my bright red hair, no I'm not ashamed of my hair (most of the time) but I'd still prefer to have blond hair or brown hair that is perfectly straight. But hey, at least I share that in common with Aster the Terrible. He's got hair as red as mine.
That happens every time I start writing, I've written a couple books before Twisted grasped my heart, (does that mean I have a Twisted heart, haha see what I did there?) and all the time I want my main character to have hair like mine. It doesn't always work, my pirate chick named Jamie had blond hair, but at least two others Kathleen and Kira (both from different stories, Kathleen was from the first book I ever finished, Path Way to Evelon, super cheesy and I could never bring myself to write it again, bleuck!) but when I got to Twisted I said to myself, "Aster is going to have brown hair." my first drawing of him, as awful as it is, has him with brown hair.
But alas, I couldn't fight destiny. Aster is a red head with the temper to go with it, and yes, before you ask, I have a pretty bad temper. It's gotten better over the years, when I was 12 I had a hot little tongue, it still shows up on occasion and I am the most stubborn person alive when that happens. The same attitude shows up in Aster, (we'd get along so great! And yes, he's young and cute!) but he's not quite as willing to tone down on the flames as I am. When I get angry, I tend to say really stupid things that I regret later, so it's better to hold my tongue than remove all doubt of my foolhood. ;)
Though sometimes I wish I was as quick with my tongue as I am with a pen. My retorts are the typical cheesy, "You wish I was that!" or "No, you are!" So insulting, but I can get pretty dang insulting when I have time to think about it, the crossfire between Amaarzar and the Secret Keeper, two wraiths that REALLY hate each other, is pretty intense as they talk about burning souls, but if I were the Secret Keeper in that position, I'd be stumbling to keep up with Amaarzar. I guess it's a good thing, my fiery tongue could probably hurt people pretty badly and I don't want to do that.
Yeah, that's all about I have to say today, other than I had a strange dream last night. I dreamt that I was with Aragorn and Legolas and I think Gimli and we were running from Orcs with my youngest sister who is seven. We got to this place where we had to crawl right past an enormous camp of Orcs and I was getting ready to punch them in the face as I reviewed crazy I thought Aragorn was for making me march right past those nasty things. We got past the Orcs and to this place where there as water, the Orcs were still searching for us so we had to be fast but my sister was wimpering and I was trying to figure how to best protect my iPod from getting ruined. Brilliance right? Orcs are coming and all I could do was worry about my poor iPod. What an adventurer I'd make.
No really, I have the mentality of a thief and the build of one too, short and slim, though thanks to my recent health problems I'm not so athletic anymore :( but yeah, as for bravery, Aragorn readily tops me, he's at a brimming 175% and I'm probably at a measly little 45%.
So now you know, like Aster, I am a wimp! But don't think any less of me, I'm working on my less than brave mind. :) Hey I have the bravado to get up at 6 during summer and write when I really didn't want to, so there. :)

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried to rate myself on my bravery. When it comes to facing monsters I probably wouldn't rate too high. And I couldn't think of outrunning them. Unfortunately I've never been remotely athletic (think last-to-get-picked-for-a-teammate type of person here). I used to think I'd grown out of my fear of sports. But a few years ago I found myself in an unexpected situation where everyone started playing volleyball and I thought I'd have a panic attack. Even while I was laughing at myself for freaking out over nothing I couldn't make myself calm down until the game was over. I guess you don't grow out of not wanting to make a complete fool of yourself.

    By the way, I sure hope you get your manuscript back soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I get it back soon too! And the freak out about volleyball was funny, I'm so not a sports person either!

      Delete