Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Dreams Do/n't Come True

Okay, I've got good news. Finally. No my editor hasn't sent my book back, and I'm chewing nails to the bone in anxiousness over it. This has to do with horses.
If you remember from a posting I published some time ago (not sure when, I've kind of had an empty mind for a while now) I wrote that horses were the reason I started writing. I wanted to sell enough copies of my book so I could buy my own. I was so desperate for contact with horses, I relished every over the fence touch to a soft muzzle. Always that girl on the sidelines pretending she had something to do.
Ah, but no more! My violin teacher came to my rescue. She owns three horses, and she's letting me help her with them! I've been waiting for this "Moondance Alexander" moment since I was fourteen! It just took a while and I'm glad that I ended up where I did. My violin teacher is an awesome person.
Hopefully with working with Gypsy, the horse, obviously, I will get savvy enough that when I do have the funds to buy my own horse I'll be able to handle it.
I think I might pass out with sheer joy when that happens. Wooo!
The only problem I feel with this arrangement is that Gypsy is a very sweet horse, but she isn't mine. I can get kind of possessive about things, (anything, you name it, I've probably pulled a "my precious" over it) and I still feel kind of distanced because I don't own a horse. My parents and others that I've talked to about this don't really get it, but there's nothing quite like having an equine partner that dives for the fence just so he can spend time with you. That happened to me yesterday, Gypsy came in from a pasture of grass straight to me, and my violin teacher said, "She came to you!"
I can't wait until it's my horse and I don't have to second guess what I'm doing, but until then, I am ECSTATIC to finally be able to touch a horse for longer than five minutes!
Last week I went with my violin teacher to help her with a presentation at her daughter's school. She's taught Cheyenne and Gypsy to do tricks, and it's just amazing to watch. I got to be Gypsy's handler, basically meaning I stood holding the lead rope as she grazed. I also watched the kids sitting and watching remembering my elementary school days when that was me. The wannabe on the sidelines. It was so nice to not be that way anymore, I finally got to be the one with the horse. I've waited close to twelve years for that moment.
So, dreams do or don't come true? I'm not sure. I'm still kind of worried that something is going to happen like it has with all the other horsey experiences I've got where I'm suddenly chucked into the outskirts and left struggling. I'm hoping that won't happen this time, but still, I'm wary. But I'm going to enjoy my time with Gypsy the Arabian, she's already taught me a lot from the six times I've been out to help with the horses, mainly, "When I go for the treats, move those fingers!"

2 comments:

  1. You'll get there, I know it! It's wonderful that you get to spend time with Gypsy and get to know horses better. I'm glad you have your dream. Just keep waiting and working and I know it's going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope working and waiting will get me there! :)

      Delete