Friday, October 18, 2013

Oh What a Week

This has been an incredibly long week. I became a published author, played in an trio for the first time and got two enormously large (and probably infected (oops!)) blisters on my ankles.
I'm glad it's over, I'm currently stuck in Friday clothes, you know that stuff you bury at the back of your closet with a desperate promise that it will never see the light of day? Yeah. That kind of clothing, needless to say I'm not a happy camper about my outfit right now.
It has also been a year since I began playing the violin. To celebrate that I shook and quivered my way through a recital. I was just fine playing Gavotte, I mean I've been playing it since May (it will not disappear!) until I suddenly realized that I was playing in front of a bunch of people and suddenly, without any kind of warning I lost my place.
Oops.
Also since May we've been working on a music piece for a trio. Two violins and the piano. We finally preformed it last night and to be honest I only knew what I was doing through the first half of the song. Second half I was making up all the timing, ah rests, they are a pain for beginners. It's also the first song that I've played in third position on and I think that was the best part of the second half was how fast I could go from first position to second position and back.
Amazingly though I managed to keep in time. My only mistake was in the last part of the song where I counted wrong and had to skip a few notes to keep up. Oh well, I didn't like that part anyway, I didn't know how to count it until one day before the recital. I was also in danger of having my A string snap in my face. It began fraying and has been replaced with a brand spanking new string.
Anyone who understands violins will understand why I am cringing. New strings have a tendency to go out of tune in about five minutes, even less if you're lucky. Though I did get to play on a beautiful $23,000 French violin. It had a deep voice, but I like my tiger-striped violin better.
As for my book...well I've decided to take everything as a victory. I'm proud of what I've done, because honestly? I've never met another 18-year-old who has done what I have. I have met other teen authors, but most of them looked at me like I was a freak and a half. I'm sorry that I'm original. It's not my fault. :)
And I love my mom. Special shout out to her. She's really sad because of the sudden and really unexpected death of my little brother Jason, but she's still there for me. She's been advertising my book to her friends and sister. Thank you, Mom. I couldn't have done any of this without you. :)

3 comments:

  1. Tayla, I can't believe your brother died. What happened? If it's okay with you, I'd like to come to the funeral to support you. What a horrible time for you and your family. How are you holding up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, Jason was miscarried. It was incredibly sad because he wasn't big enough to hold a proper funeral for. The doctors took what was left of him and pretended nothing had happened.
      I suppose I'm all right. I'm just sad because I never got to know him, I have three angel siblings, none of them I knew well because they died before I saw them alive.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry. That can't be easy for you to have already seen so much death. Give your mom a big hug from me and tell her to hug you back--also from me. I'm sorry that you never got to meet Jason.

      Delete