Monday, September 9, 2013

Cover Flip Flop

I apologize for my lack of a post in the past couple days, I got bored of sitting in front of a computer and therefore went a little haywire and berserk. My brain is on fire, I mean this not literally (though my hair would make it appear to be that way, last year in a windstorm when my hair was curly my little sister told me it looked like my head was on fire, nice right?) because I CANNOT for the life of me figure out a cover for my bloody book that will work!
I'm sure you've seen the cheesy, unprofessional cover over the "about me" thing. I put it in front of a book cover critique and they all proceeded to tell me that they didn't like it, that I didn't have enough contrast. I walked away steaming, and went "okay FINE! You want contrast, I'll give it to you!"
So far I've come up with an idea that would work brilliantly if only the Secret Keeper were real. I could use his gross, dead hands right about now. Of course, when has he ever worked WILLINGLY with me?
So I'm going to do a bit of fancy sewing and make myself a wraith costume, loosely based off of the Nazgul. I'll post my progress (and pictures!) as I go along. Currently I don't have enough $$$ to make one and I'm coming in on my deadline (one I made for myself) in a month and I can tell you that I am FREAKING OUT.
Hence my use of capital letters.
The manuscript is done. I finished the final read through this morning. My last two things on my checklist are as follows,
1. Make a catchy cover
2. Redraw the map
Yes, I had a map, then I realized I left out about half of the important things like HELLO! The legend and compass would be nice right? Though it helped so I could tell where everything was. I've found a new photo editing program which you can view here it's called Pixlr and looks pretty awesome. It's like a free copy of Photoshop and has grass brushes! I have been longing for those since I watched people on YouTube using them. Gimp is great but it lacks the ability to make nice new brushes. Or I haven't learned how. And yes, I learned how to link things, maybe. If they don't work...sorry, I just closed the tabs. My brain is not working very well today, but what can you expect from someone running on 5 hours and 30 minutes of sleep?
Stand by for my probably impressive attempts to make a costume. Fortunately wraiths aren't known for their fashion sense (unless it's Madam Shazaar, one of my characters. An insanely vain wraith. More on her later...) and I can get away with slipped stitches and no hem!
And finally something on my violin! I've been looking for the sheet music to a song for nearly a year! I found it yesterday and my younger sister and I are going to collab piano and violin. It sounded awesome last night for two people who had barely looked at the music thirty minutes before. We have 'till December 1 to get it right.
Here's the song I was talking about. It's called I Wonder as I Wander. I don't know who wrote it, but it is beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck working on your cover and map! I'm impressed you can take that part up on your own--I'd be terrified. As I mentioned before, I couldn't draw to save my life. But you are quite an artist. I'm sure they're going to look good when you're done.

    And I'm excited to see your costume when you're done with it. Make sure you don't forget to post the pictures. :)

    P.S. I like this rendition of I Wonder as I Wander. It's a beautiful Christmas song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a little terrified that I'll mess it up. I took my brother's advice (I love my family BTW, so awesome...) and am drawing the cover one step at a time. I'll post pictures of it soon.

      Delete