Tuesday, August 20, 2013

All Smiles

Yes, I'm all smiles again, and I felt like writing in a different color than I normally do, so please forgive me on this indulgence. I'm feeling much better than I was the last two posts. I've discovered over the past week, the best way to get over something that's bothering you is to simply put it aside and not think about it for at least 24 hours. Sometimes you just need to walk away.
I did this. I'm managing to break a smile again. I'm still worried, but hey, I'm surviving.
Anyway, this is the last week of summer vacation. You should all be very proud of me for managing to keep my posts going. I thought I wouldn't be able to do it.
I feel like I've progressed a lot since summer began. For one thing I can get a horse to jump while I'm on the ground and her back, and I only have nine more chapters until I'm done with the final (with some exclusions) edit of Twisted. My goal is to finish this week so I can start a new book and worry about that while school is going. Twisted is almost done. It's startling. I've been trying to do this for eight years, (yes, since I was ten, but I didn't get serious about writing until I turned fourteen)
It's been a very long journey since I started writing that book! Nearly three years. I've learned so much.
My goal of having my book published on October 15 is suddenly looking possible. Can it be true?
This morning I woke up early, I tipped over and started half-dreaming and in that daze I half-dreamt that I was at some center in Utah, (I've been here a lot, but I have no idea what it's name is, it's like the Energy-Solutions (I'm sorry, can't think of that as anything but the Delta!)) and they were having some kind of author convention. I tried walking in but some dippy, smiley woman told me that they didn't need me there.
I said. "Oh." And walked away.
I saw my dream-self sitting on the roof of my car (I looked rather cute) and as I was sitting there crying, some lady walked up to me and said, "Are you Tayla Durham?"
I said, "Yes. Why do you care?"
The lady looked relieved, "I'm so glad I found you! My son wanted to meet you and tell you something!"
I arched my eyebrows.
"He's inside with my husband, he spilled ice-cream down his front. Why aren't you in there?"
Rather gloomily I replied, "I was told I wasn't needed."
"By that lady at the front? She's the publicist of some jump start man who can't even write a sentence! Come in!" the woman said.
She didn't give my dream-self much choice. I was pulled in past the smiley woman who suddenly looked less happy. I took my place at the table with a bunch of copies of Twisted and a large cardboard cutout of Aster the Terrible by it. The moment I sat down a lot of people looked up and ditched the other tables they were at and rushed over to me. I was swarmed by a large crowd of people who rapidly threw themselves into a line begging for a signed copy of my book.
At this point I wasn't really sleeping and my head was starting to ache so I sat up. It was rather vivid for a dream. I could see almost every detail perfectly. It wasn't hazy or stupid like dreams can sometimes be.
I'm sorry if I bored you, it's just an image I want to hold onto. =D
This is Beauty in Walking Away (something like that) by Marie Digby. It's been my theme for the past week. Sometimes things can feel intense and hard, and the best thing you can do is walk away, get a new angle. It doesn't mean quitting, but you don't need to sit so close to the fire that your eyebrows get singed!

4 comments:

  1. Good for you to hang on to that dream! And no, you didn't bore me at all. I'm so happy for you that Twisted is coming out so soon!!! I CAN'T WAIT to read it.

    And I'm amazed that you can jump while you are riding! That CAN NOT be easy! If you ever get the chance to record yourself doing it, I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it wasn't much of a jump. I asked Gypsy to step over it and it took a lot of convincing to get her to pop over.

      Delete
    2. You've gotta start somewhere! I'm still happy for you that you're working on that. I've only ridden a horse once in my life, but I've watched jumping competitions on tv and jumping sure looks fun. :)

      Delete
    3. Oh it is fun! There's nothing quite like riding. The other close comparison is writing. Both take you to unexplored worlds where you're free to be yourself. =D

      Delete