Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Today While the Sun Shines

I've had this cold for a week. I know all I've done recently is whine about it, but it's a pretty bad cold. I think I'll look up the professional term of a cold in Latin so I sound so much cooler when I say I've got a common cold.
Yeah aside from the cold I'm actually pretty okay today. I practically slept through all of my alarms and had to drag myself out of bed, but that was all right because it meant I got to write and I was excited because I finally got to introduce a character I've fall heads over heels for, Prince Shegya.
I've been struggling for ways to introduce him, he ranks pretty high up there on the stubbornness scale (the Secret Keeper topping and breaking the scale) and I wanted to show that stubbornness without actually coming right out and saying, "he's stubborn" I prefer showing.
I think I've got it down this time, actually managing to show how Shegya feels about his father, the sultan of Aramabi and Amaarzar, the general of the Aramabic armies. I didn't have to go into this in depth explanation like last time, I just put down a few words and ba-bam! As Amy Duncan would say, you could see that there was tension.
I love being able to do that, but it takes a lot of drafts and fighting to be able to get there, I'm currently on the 7th draft of Entangled (book after Twisted) and this one has been fighting me ever since I first started writing it, but this time I think I'll actually be able to finish it.
Oh nerd moment here, I started reading the Lord of the Rings, I mean actually READING it and I discovered that I like it. My siblings think I'm nuts because I've got my head stuck in it, and we just spent the last who KNOWS how many years making fun of it. Oops. =D
I want to see the movies again if that punctuates how nerdy I'm feeling right now, but you know, I'm only watching it for the Nazgul, Frodo whines way too much for my liking, the Nazgul don't whine at all, just get the job done, though since they're wraiths, I suppose they're whining on the inside. No wraith likes being told what to do, especially not by another wraith, that's like having that person you REALLY, REALLY do NOT like telling you to go do something, but I don't think that the Witch King would take kindly to whiners, so the other Nazgul keep it to themselves.
Amaarzar probably wishes his Terrors would take a few pages from the Nazgul's book. If they don't want to do something, they gripe about it and then act sluggish and half dead (wait! They're undead! For them is it acting half alive?) as they're doing it.
Viral rhinitis, is a Latin term for a cold, BTW. Sounds much cooler than, "I've caught a cold."
"I have viral rhinitis."
"Oh, you poor thing."
"I know."
Oh and for the record, I've started feeling quite partial to the Nazgul second in command, Khamul. Can't say why, maybe because Amaarzar and the Witch King are best buddies in my mind and I don't want to be in the same place they are while they're scheming to kill hobbits together. Khamul seems like a cool customer and could probably stand my craziness, unlike most other wraiths who'd look at me like, "what died in your head?"
I just realized why I like Khamul, he reminds me of Mullin, one of my wraiths. Mullin is seriously calm because he's missing his tongue (his mother cut it out, but she was a wraith at the time and didn't remember that she was his mother, Shazaar was one vicious cookie for a really long time!) and has no other outlet for anger. After getting cited over three hundred times for unprovoked attacks, Mullin decided that being calm was a better answer than attacking. He's so calm, an airplane could be disintegrating beneath him and he wouldn't even blink at it, that's how I imagine Khamul.
See, I'm a nerd. I just went on forever about wraiths, I do that outside my blog too and I notice that people start to get oddly silent when I start talking about them. Wish I had someone to nerd out with. =(
Sorry you probably missed everything I said.
Shazaar is Amaarzar's lieutenant. If you remember from my last blog post about Amaarzar, I think I said that he's the general of the army that's attacking the good guys. And BTW her title is pronounced Sha-zaar, not Shazar. Sha-zaar, really drag it out through the nose. =)
Okay, I'm done being a nerd.

2 comments: