Thursday, May 9, 2013

How a Worried Sick, Tired Author Began Her Long Journey With a Pen as a Weapon and How She Wishes Her Story Would End

Okay, I know I don't normally post on Thursday, but I felt like I should, so here I am, all in a manner of speaking though. I don't feel all that great, so you're only getting about 25% of me, the other 75% is still in bed snoring.
I wish I was with that 75%! I'm so out of it today. :D
Anyway, last night my two younger sisters invaded my room after play-acting as my characters through the vent. It was insanely cute to hear my 7-year-old sister belting at the top of her lungs that she was Amaarzar leader of the Terrors of the Sands. I nearly passed out laughing.
We chatted for a bit, contemplating what it'd be like to actually see Twisted published. I personally just want to stick a bookmark in it. I know of all the things that I could do with my published book and I just want to put a piece of paper in it, but you see, I've been reading this off computers, in binders where the only way to mark where you are is either highlighting an area in the document, or sticking a Post-It note on the side. I want to stick a bookmark in it.
I also decided (yesterday) that if I couldn't have a horse for my birthday, which isn't looking very hopeful, I've been begging for a horse since I was five-years-old and as of yet, nada. Then I met this girl who got a horse for Christmas and I was all "Oooh, you don't know how lucky you are..." anyway. If I can't have a horse for my birthday, all I want is for Twisted to sell, truthfully I don't really care about the money, I don't want to be rich, I'm content not being rich. The only reason I'd use it was so I could lease Gypsy, my violin teacher's blue-nosed Arabian horse and then possibly buy a horse of my own, but not until I'm horse savvy.
Okay, you lucky readers, I'm going to share a personal story here (and now you're all suddenly interested right?) it's the reason I started writing and a copy of what I sent to my violin teacher. Uh...right after I dig it out of my email,
please hold.......




Okay, I found it. Here it is.
Once upon a time there was a little girl. All she dreamt about was riding horses, she read book about them and drooled for wishing. She begged every star in heaven for a horse, but alas, stars don't answer prayers, and it would have been really painful for a horse to fall out of the sky on top if her.
So she begged her parents for riding lessons and for the first few years only got one once every year with a lot of begging and crying in between. So the little girl did the only thing she could, she decided to make that money herself. One should never doubt a horse crazy girl, and this girl did the only thing she could think of, meaning she grabbed a pen and started writing figuring she'd get money that way.
Needless to say her first few attempts at writing a book failed. Then at twelve she finished her first one, but it was hardly publishing material. The little girl wavered. There was no way the she could see to get money for a horse, she wondered if she should take up knitting instead.
Fortunately, God is merciful and gave this little girl something to write about and helped her through every painful moment when she wavered, thought she couldn't make it and even forgot why she'd taken up writing in the first place.
But she made it even though the first book that really got her into writing didn't quite make it to an editor. She finished it and since her ever wise older sister advised that she let the book sit for a month she had nothing to write, until one afternoon when she sat down to write these four words spilled into paper "oh what a world." Two years later those words are the first four in her book that was sent to an editor and she is praying with every ounce within her that this book will get her the money she has been trying to get since she was nine years old. The end.

Yeah, I know, not the happy ending most people wish for. Yes, that little girl is me and I've done my part. I've already spent hours staring at the computer willing words to appear on the screen. My part of this story is over, now it's your turn.
I promise, I'm NOT begging, I HATE begging, unless it's for fun and my siblings are doing the puppy face with me. I just felt like I needed to post this today. Perhaps it's just an appeal from an exhausted author to possible readers. I'm not sure.
I'm fighting the odds here. I'm a debut author (in the publishing world) I don't really have any strings to pull, and on top of that I'm self-publishing on Amazon, so there's no big publishing company shoving my book down people's throats, which is a good thing. Too much paper is too much paper. And you will choke on too much paper. ;D
Anyway, I've written about my fears. That I'll spend the time to write and no one will read, I know it's dumb, but what debut author doesn't wonder that? But what if I spent the last two years on writing when I could've been doing something else to get money to lease a horse? I can't imagine what, but the question remains, have I wasted two years?
Hopefully not, I love writing. It's the reason I get up at 5 in the morning! Except for this morning, I didn't feel that great so I just rolled back over, this blog post is the most my shaky fingers have written all day. The whole 8 hours since 12. :)
Woo, I'm tired now. What the doctors claim is nothing is making me sick. That's ironic. Nothing is making me sick! Kind of like the Greek story about Polyphmous...um, not spelled right, the Cyclopes yelling that Nobody stabbed him in the eye. Ahhh, I love Percy Jackson, made the Greek mythology part of English incredibly easy because I already knew what they were talking about!
I apologize for the grammar errors in this post. I'm not exactly accurate when I don't feel great. The little red line under the misspelled words isn't even bugging me like it normally does.
Okay, I'm done talking. :)
Remember for the story I told early, you're needed to finally give it a happy ending. I don't care about the prince carrying me off into the sunset (unless that prince was either Caspian or Shegya) all I want is the horse. The happy ending is coming nearly 10 years after the story started, but you know, happy times never makes a good story, as much as I hate going through the rough ones. :p

3 comments:

  1. I'm rooting for you! You're going to get that horse. I don't know if you are interested, but I'd be happy to interview you as a visiting author on my blog to help market your book once you're ready to publish. You've probably already notice that my blog doesn't get much traffic, but I'd like to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! That'd be awesome! Any little push would help, I'd be MORE than happy to do the same for you when your books are ready. :)

      Delete
  2. I'll take you up on your offer to help me when I'm ready. :) Just email me when you are ready to publish, and I'll send you a list of questions. Then I'll post the questions and your replies on my blog. My email address is: author@rachelkjohnson.com.

    ReplyDelete