Friday, January 11, 2013

Nothing New, except the cure for writer's block

Amazingly, I have nothing to report, except I FINALLY got to drop the Allegro song. It was great when I sounded out myself, and even better when I finally got to move on 21 days later.
Oh and I got past some major writer's block. You know the type, this is stupid, nothing is working, why am I even bothering? No one will care, I should quit, I should have taken up knitting instead.
Unfortunately, writer's block is a big part of being an author, I used to go through HUGE bouts of it where I wanted to quit so badly it ached. I did, a couple times, but sadly, I can't quit, I get stubborn, and then I try again.
A good way to solve writer's block is to step back. Evaluate what the problem is away from your computer screen or notebook. Take a walk. Think. Don't think. Try to figure out what new and creative ways you can torture (uh, I mean help) your characters through the story. Use that creative brain of yours and BRAINSTORM, have a real thunderstorm going on inside your head.
OR
If this isn't working for you, figure out the cause, often times fixing writer's block requires you to go through the fairly painful process of figuring out what the root of the tree of writer's block is. It could be a wrong turn you made in the plot, if you feel uncomfortable, bored, or just fried while trying to write, it's possible that you've done this.
Or the root could be your characters. Yes, we love them, we need them, but they can also be a real pain in the neck! Sometimes when I hit major writer's block it's because I'm not sticking to my characters' personalities, and they REALLY don't like it when I do that. I can't force my characters to act ways that they aren't, thus resulting in writer's block.
The reason above is why I had it. There's this certain character I have, I love him to death, (Ha, ha! Funny, considering he's undead!) but he drives me sincerely crazy. He's a wraith, (yes, I write from a wraith's POV, quite interesting actually) and definitely among one of the most stubborn, block headed characters I've ever had. I can't force him to do ANYTHING and more than once he's been the cause of major headaches, screaming into pillows, and banging my head against a wall. I had to forgo at least a hundred well (and not so well) written pages from his POV. Major ouch. But the way I overcame writer's block was by stepping back and trying to think about it the way he would, kind of hard considering wraiths don't think the way we living and breathing beings do, but I managed to figure it out and now instead of going looking for the Aramabics, he gets abducted by them. It works so much better!
(Spoiler alert)
Yeah, that's about all I have. Hoped it helped. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment