Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Hit and Rise

I did mean to post something yesterday, but I forgot...yeah, my brain. It's not functioning so well right now, you know, right after Christmas break and everything. I bet even rocket scientists are having a hard time getting up and going after two weeks worth of sleeping in.
On Monday I found some news that was incredibly startling and upsetting (putting it mildly) one of my friends is doing incredibly well with their interests. I'm not. It was a real hit to the face to see how well they were doing. I'm doing the best I can, why not me?
I was pretty well screaming why!? at God. It was probably the worst break down I've ever had. It felt so unfair that this person is doing so well in half the time it's taken me to get where I am now (still not so well) I was sobbing, those sobs where tears are falling and your mouth is hanging open but you're so heart broken you don't really consider breathing to be important. I jammed in the earbuds and listened to a song I put to rest about five years ago.
The song's about broken dreams and walking where no one else is. Exactly how I feel sometimes. Broken. Alone. Forgotten. I'm perfectly fine today because I'm writing the second book (not Entangled anymore) and I've managed to cook myself up a villain that scares me. Not in the Ahhh! It's a big eyeball called Sauron! kind of scary, it's the I'm terrified to be in the same room with you because of what you might do to me, kind of a fear. My villain is a conniving lying little demon! He's kind of like Maldor in Beyonders by Brandon Mull (great series BTW, I have a signed copy of the second book!) Maldor doesn't kill his enemies in the normal sense. He strips them of themselves.
The sting of the news still hurts at raw moments. I'm really happy for my friend, but I have to wonder why people keep getting what I'm working for. It's like they're not even trying while I'm sweating and working myself to death.
And I keep having these weird dreams.
It's a life and death kind of drama and I know how to solve the problem.
Make it all go away.
But when I try telling the people around me in my dream they won't listen. I start screaming at them, but they can't hear me. Won't hear me. It's kind of scary in the dream, especially when your siblings are being cooked and are dying or having their minds controlled by some powerful evil source.
I scream and I scream, they won't hear a thing.
I don't wake up frustrated, just a little baffled and annoyed at my iPod for doing its duty as an alarm.
What does it mean?

8 comments:

  1. Yeah, but the worst thing we can do is compare our journey to someone else's. It can suck all your confidence and desire. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding! I've been comparing myself to people for too long. It completely drains my will to be myself and to do what I like doing. I'm learning not to do that....but it's difficult :)

      Delete
  2. I wonder about how people get chosen, too. It's a combination of things and only a small piece of it is talent. Timing, right place, right time, right fit seem to have more to do with it. Which are things we can't control. I'm struggling with worrying about what I can't control right now, so I am with ya. And funny you should mention frustrating dreams - I'm having them too. Full moon? but no... maybe it's a sign! Big things are coming and we can't be scared! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that feeling too, big things are coming. It's kind of like being at sea in the middle of a hurricane and you're not at the helm, which I'm kind of glad about, if I tried to steer a ship, I'd probably sink it. =D

      Delete
  3. The best writing advice I've ever received came from Brandon Sanderson, in person, at a book signing: "Don't give up." This is from a now #1 best seller who wrote 13 novels before he signed his first deal. Sometimes, it's more about getting the ball rolling than instant success. The payoff down the road might even become much greater. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ball takes a really long time to get rolling! Hopefully it'll bounce somewhere better than here!

      Delete
  4. Good for you to dive into writing to console yourself. With all the frustration you face (and believe me, I know how bad it can be) remember why you first started writing. Remember how alive you feel at times when a story or a scene clicks into place. Despite the bumpy road, it's one worth taking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a road worth walking for sure! It's a struggle to remember why, but in the long run, when I've had a good day and everything is popping into place, it's hard to remember why I was frustrated.

      Delete