Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Birth of the Blackheart

Yep, typical teenager angst is the current story of my life right now. I'm still super tired. It feels like I got zero hours of sleep last night and I dreamt about a furnace bursting into flames and burning my aunt and uncle's house to the ground.
Fascinating, except I was still inside trying to rescue a few books.
Yeah, even in my dreams I'm lacking in sanity. :)
It's also that I don't know what to do about college. Still have no money, still do NOT want to get a job, but it's look inevitable. I also learned a heck of a lot of stuff in financial lit about money risks and taxes so my current engery and will level is topping at about -1.
But on the bright side I found a new story to write. Here's a little warning for all you authors planning to publish your book. As you format it, and proof read it, you will literally run yourself into exhaustion with it. I burnt myself into a crisp (figuratively) and I spent half of November struggling to get past chapter 5 on a bunch of books.
But I've found a new one.
Mwahaha. It's called Blackheart (yes I did come up with a title for it right away. Twisted didn't have one for...maybe two weeks. I called it the 'Secret Keeper story' which it practically is, but anyway...) and it's about a girl who gets stranded on a mountain with the king's assassin, the Blackheart.
I'm still trying to develop the story, but I do know that there's going to be a scene with tar and feathering. Hehe. Just expanding my pallete for character torture. The Secret Keeper is probably relieved that he doesn't have to deal with this new one.
Sorry Blackheart.
It's been so relieving to have something to write and to be excited about it. The past four stories that I tried to start only held my interest for the first three chapters before I started to dread writing. That is not good. As Bob Ross states "it (painting) should make you happy. If it's not making you happy then you're doing something wrong."
Or something like that.
Yes, I love Bob Ross. The cover for Twisted would have flopped without him. Sad thing that he's been dead for as long as I've been alive. :(
So I found something that made me happy. I came up with the idea after seeing Thor, A Darkened World. No, I'm not a big Marvel fan, but I wanted to see it and yes I would recommend it. Things were blowing up every five minutes. Awesome.
On that same day it was discovered that our furnace decided that breaking would be a really good idea. Did you know it costs about $2,000 to replace a furnace? I didn't and it freaked me out. My family's not rich, so when I learned that the dumb furnace was going to cost us that much I wanted to go downstairs and kick the stupid thing. I resisted and went outside with my iPod music turned up really, really loud.
I was pacing and thinking about how much I hated everything, quality meditation, I'll tell you. From there my thoughts went to Lord of the Rings (surprise) and I was thinking about how much I respected Théoden, king of Rohan. I realized that I was longing to trust the officials, trust and be willing to go to war for them. From that I went to the Witch King wondering if he'd make a good king. I figured probably. Wraiths are self-centered, but they're not going (depending on the wraith some can be rather stupid and flighty) to do something destructive that would end their rule, unless they wanted it to.
Long story short this is how I came up with the idea for Blackheart. The girl, Abigail Ellison is stranded away from her home with the Blackheart, the king of Hearst's brunt fist. Somehow or another she manages to weasel her way into his black heart and becomes the father figure she never had.
How this happens? No idea. But it was amazing the way Abby walked onto the page. It was the same way Aster did. The words popped from my fingers with a distinct voice that clearly said here I am! I didn't have to guess her name, or the names of those around her. That's what drove me crazy about the other books. No voice! Abby has a distinct voice all her own.
No, I'm not quitting on Twisted, I just need a break or I'm going to scream. I've written so many drafts and edited so much of that series that one more try is going to make my head explode and you know how difficult it can be to clean brains from your keyboard. ;)
Here's what gave my new book its name. I found the sheet music for this song earlier that day. It seems like it was meant to happen. Blackheart by Two Steps from Hell. Not so fond of the group name, but love their music.
Can I play this song on the violin? Yes (hesitant answer) but it needs work.

See my Facebook page for Twisted my published book!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Twisted/168658493335482?skip_nax_wizard=true
Like, share and enjoy!

Here's where you can buy a physical copy of Twisted
http://www.amazon.com/Twisted-1-Tayla-Durham/dp/1493540467/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384965585&sr=1-1&keywords=twisted+Tayla+durham

2 comments:

  1. Have fun with Blackheart! It sounds great. It's good to be excited about a book. It's fun to work on something that gets your blood pumping. And try not to worry too much about your future--just let it stew in the back of your mind. You still have time before you need to dive in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still kinda worried about everything. It's like I can't go an hour without worrying about what's going to happen next. Will it be bad? How am I supposed to deal with getting hit again and again and again...etc.

      Delete